Nov 30, 2009

EuroTrip - Day 74

Baba School & Libertease

The winter has arrived in Paris. We are kind of used to temperatures around 10 degrees now. It's the chilly winds that make us shiver every time we go out. The cloudy weather makes it even worse. It has taken the fun out of walking on the beautiful Paris roads. Now a days, We have been using metro more often than ever.

Yesterday, I had final exam for one of the subjects. It's that time of the trimester when you really can not avoid 'studying'. Back home, this phase lasts just a couple of days. But here, they prefer to have in-class exams and the randomness of schedules have stretched this exam phase to a whole of three weeks. In a sense, it should be beneficial for us as we will get ample time to prepare for the exams and get good grades. Did I hear - 'what a joke!!' Haha. I accept. That was a muggu joke.

The college is buzz with activities right now. Elections for the BDE (an equivalent of student council) is a really grand affair. Mad Is On (Baba School) and the DayLightFul (Libertease) are the two groups/gangs/teams that are competing for the prestigious BDE. They have been campaigning for this election for quite some time now. It's just that we did not realize that the daily parties that were thrown in the school premises were the mode of canvassing for such an elections. Free food, drinks and games have been a regular feature of these parties. However, last few days before election saw even grander events. While one team built up an artificial ice skating ring in the campus, other converted it into a go-carting arena. Free food and drinks were topped with free messages from trained masseurs, quick makeup help from experts, sumo wrestling, PS consoles in the halls and loads and loads of freebies. And not to mention, there were dance parties. Parties that get really wild. All this just for BDE? I think, I still don't understand the system. These parties were bloody expensive affairs. I have not had chance to listen to their debate (oh yes, they actually do such things as debate and manifestos too) but I have one of the manifesto with me. It's very creative and french. I will have to spend some quality time with google translator to figure out the details of the ideas on which these elections are fought. For now, we are just enjoying the party. The campus is livelier than ever and that's the best thing that these elections have offered us.

I had a presentation today in Consumer Behavior. It was based on an article titled 'Extended Self and Possessions in the Workplace.' In simple terms, it talked about how people today personalize their office workspace (cubicles) to express themselves. From the word go this article just made me go 'wow'. It reminded me of the every object that I had kept in my cubicle in all those years of jobs/internships and tried to explain hidden meaning in them. I felt as if the author had written it with me in mind. I really loved each moment of it.

BTW, did I tell you that now yours truly can boast of having the secret recipe of bread rolls. Thanks Tanya for sharing that with me. For others, now you have one more reason to come my home for the breakfast. :D

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Pritesh is learning cooking....how lucky can I get...:)

Gaurav said...

Lol. We have to survive his cooking! Poor us. :-P

Pritesh Jain said...

@Shreya: Mom ne bola tha 'beta seekh le... baad me kaam aata hai..." It's called playing safe you know!

@Jang!!: Go change your name and be happy that you have survived my cooking as well as for writing such a sad comment. :P

Gaurav said...

I like my name!!
Of course, it doesn't go along very well with the infectious, magnetic personality I have assumed, but I still like it.

Gaurav said...

Er. This is confusing now.