Nov 9, 2009

EuroTrip - Day 57

Mercédès Jellinek

I have received a couple of complaints in last couple of weeks. Here is list them:
1. I am not posting any photos along with the blog.
2. The blog is becoming repetitive and boring.
3. I should reduce the size of the blog as at times I am writing too much of crap.

Well, I accept them with a pinch of salt. I am realizing day by day that I am not a good writer. My vocabulary sucks and every now and then I mix up with my grammar and tenses. And to top that, my short term memory is not doing any good. I accept.

So what do I do now? Should I stop writing? I don't seem to find a way to change much about my writing style anyways. At least not while I am writing most of these blogs on my mobile phone during those long train journeys. I cannot become a writer overnight. I guess I will continue writing this same old crap. You might ask - for whom? The answer to that is - for myself. This EuroTrip is one of its kind chance. I will never get to do it again. I am trying my best to preserve it for myself. So as to look back some day and say - those were the days...

With regard to photo, I have uploaded them in my picassaweb album and tried to give sufficient descriptions. Thoda effort to aapko bhi marana padega, you see.

To get back to my EuroTrip, today It was my chance to visit the Detroit of Germany. Stuttgart - the house of Mercedes Benz and Porsche. This city holds the distinction, along with Mannheim, of being the forefront of development of Automotive Revolution. The four wheeler industry owns its existence to the efforts of people like Karl Benz, Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach who spent sleepless nights inventing petrol and diesel powered automobiles in their small workshops to.

Mercedes Benz museum located close to the Mercedes Benz plant in Stuttgart is a tribute to the existence of this company in the small history of the world of automobiles. It showcases the developments in this industry from the point of view of Mercedes Benz as a firm. By capturing the social and technological aspects of the development process, it has done well to give the museum a global appeal. You could not be a Merc fan, still this place has a lot to offer to you. For novices like me, it was a chance to see the best of the best (Merc) cars at one place and get to know more about them. I really loved their take on the world history in last 100 years or so. The exhibits along the ramps have a very different take on the significant events in last century and their contribution to the developments in automobile industry.

They also have a F1 simulator where you can get a feel of what the Schumachers and the Alonzos of this world go through when they drive those cars on those unimaginable speeds. Let me tell you from my experience, Kimi Raikkonen's famous victory in Monaco Grand Prix was a remarkable achievement considering what he could see while sitting inside the car.

One more visit to Mannheim and some more of Boraism. The plan for Spain looks pretty much in place. I shall go and book tickets the next day. For now, I am too tired and these ICE seats are really comfortable to allow me to take a long nap.

ps: A couple of observations/discovery from the day:
1. I saw more Volksvagons, Audis and Citroen cars on Stuttgart roads than Merc or Porshce. I have statistically significant proofs to support my claims.
2. The name Mercedes came from the daughter of a champion salesman of cars made by Benz's company.
3. You can spend a full day in this museum, so plan your trip accordingly.

No comments: