Nov 23, 2009

EuroTrip - Day 70

Fontainebleau, La Défense and an almost broken nose

Some days are better spent unplanned. Planning kills the romance. After having traveled so much in last couple of months, we have reached a saturation phase. Our days no more start at 6 am as there are no early morning trains to catch. We visit Facebook more frequently than bahn.de. The number of starred mails in my inbox has come down drastically. And yes most important of them all, we are taking bath on a daily basis now. :D

But it does not mean that we are not traveling at all. We are not yet caged in these four walls that we call home. If that was our agenda, India would have been a far cheaper place. We are doing small trips in and around Paris now. I feel ashamed to accept that we have not done any real sight seeing in this city as yet. So it clearly is the right time now to explore this city called Paris from close.

So after doing justice to a lazy morning (ready lazying around in our sofa bed), PooCh and me loaded ourselves with three of the greatest weapons that a traveler in this part of world should own - a EuRail Pass, a Paris Metro pass for a day and map of Île-de-France - and hit the road.

Fontainebleau, situated around an hour distance from Paris center was to be our first destination for the day. This commune is renowned for the large and scenic forest of Fontainebleau (which, incidentally, we did not know), the beautiful historical Château de Fontainebleau ( incidentlly again, we did not know about it) and is the home of INSEAD, one of the world's most elite business schools (Oh yes, we knew it). Taking TARDi's feedback on its face value, we had planned to visit the this town for it's 'beautiful garden'. For the first time, we did not bother about approaching the tourist information office (See how much confidence we have now on our tourist sense!) and we just reached the garden. Not bad, I must say. The garden was huge (actually a notch higher than huge) and it was green and had a big lake (with monstrous white ducks). There were people doing their morning rounds of jogging (at 2pm). What I loved the most about this place is that it had the silence. It had the silence of a jungle. I could hear the chirping of the birds. And I know I was at the right place. The splendid Château was right in front of me, but I knew I did not want to go there. I had found what I was searching for and that's it. I was at peace. And when you are at peace, whatever you speak comes right from your heart. Me and PooCh did not need to do 'random bakar' for a change today. We spoke about things that matter to us (atleast I did). I really admire this quality of PooCh. He is a good company whatever is the mood around. He can be part of any discussion in any group and let the group feel his presence. Random bakar or some profound discussions - he is the man. I, on the other hand, really get switched off in many situations. Can this art be learnt, I don't know. But if it can be, I know who will be the biggest 'guru'.

On our way to the garden, we had chanced to pass by a huge Carrefour outlet (one of those outskirts biggie) and we knew that we had to visit it on the way back. We are children of this consumption age you know. So we did. It's a huge world out there inside those four walls. There are loads and loads of brands trying to capture your attention. We did not see many offers (as expected, I can tell from my SRM class learnings) but then there were loads of store brands (again, as expected). People come here prepared to literally stock up their houses. We, on the other hand, were just exploring things that could serve as our lunch for the day. And we found Popcorn. One that was really affordable. The decision did not take much time. It's been more than two months since we munched those yummi things (I never realized, things like this will matter so much). A couple of biscuit packets and a bottle of sprite and we were on our way to railway station. Our next stop was going to be business district of Paris - La Défense.

For two whole months, we had seen just one side of Paris - that of culture and tradition. La Défense was to be our first interaction with its business side. It's the area where the who-s-who of French companies have their offices. With high-risers and glass-and-concrete giants, it presents a totally difference face of Paris. The difference becomes visible in the metro station itself. The station can beat many an airports with its design and the kind of shops it has accommodated. Xmas celebrations have already started so the decorations have gone up manifolds. If you are a 'mall' person, then this is your area. The malls are huge and have the biggest of the stores. If our afternoon was dedicated to visiting Carrefour, the evening went to Toys-R-Us. A child's heaven, this shop has a superb collection of toys and kids' items. Thank god the really high prices, else I and the kid with me (read PooCh) would have surely been down by a couple of dozens of Euros by end of the day.

We did spend a couple dozen Euros (together) shopping some other useful stuff though in some other shop. At times it is just too irresistible. The shops are plenty and have done very well in presenting their offerings. The only way to escape getting lured is to come out of the mall as quick as you can.

Arche de la Défense or simply as La Grande Arche welcomes you there. The modern day replica of Arc de Triomphe is at the westernmost extremity of Paris' 10 km long Historical Axis, which starts at the Louvre in Central Paris and continues along the Champs-Élysées, well beyond the Arc de Triomphe before culminating at La Défence. This 110 m high gate shaped building is meant as a monument to humanity and humanitarian ideals rather than military victories (as in the case of Arc de Triomphe). A photographer's love, this place offers a very beautiful view of La Défence and also Champs-Élysées. Currently the festive celebrations are going on making it really alive. A really nice place to spend your evening staring at the well-lit concrete monsters and ofcourse the Arc De Triomphe in a distance.

I will also remember this place for an almost broken nose. They have put some glass panels randomly (I guess to direct the winds so as not to hurt the temporary constructions in the area) but have forgotten to put sufficient warning. It was my luck or foolishness (I don't know which one) that I went and banged my face straight into one such glass panel saying these word 'bechare kitne jaakar takara jaate honge in glasses par' (or something like that, PooCh you might help me with those exact words). Irony is the word I guess. It was really a bang. The biggest I have had in recent time. The sound could be heard to a good distance. I am happy that my spectacles and my nose both are intact (it would have costed equally bad to have repaired any of those here in Paris).

It's time to do some damage control and take some rest. Tomorrow, it's a crucial day for all PGP2s. We go through our ritualistic bidding process for course selection in the wee hours (Paris time). It means that I should have slept early. But then for some unknown reasons, I started watching Fight Club. Once I start this movie, it's difficult to stop. It's going to be a long night, I am sure. I don't complaint. It has been a very good day and the longer it is, the more memorable it will become. I am Jack's greedy soul.

No comments: