Nov 3, 2009

EuroTrip - Day 50

The Roman Story

I don't know why the day started on a low note. I had a really long and comfortable sleep and got up refreshed. Still the feelings were quite mixed up. I vaguely remember a dream from the last night and it might have the clue. I spent a lot of time wondering about it and ended up calling home. There are some days when I miss my family badly. Today was one such day. Talking home did help a bit but then I think I need something else. It's been a long trip to say the least and may be a break is the need of the time. Tomorrow we reach home. I am looking forward to it.

I have started predicting things about what we would do and why we would do it. I tested my skill once more today and it worked perfectly fine. With the kind of mood I have been today, I could not have done anything better. Rome is not the right place to be in such a mood. There is so much of history in Rome that if you hit any stone on the road it will start telling its Roman story.

My love for history does not go beyond last 100 years or so. So while in Berlin I loved the stories and really cherished it, here I got bored with Roman history very soon. It's too old and too complex for me. I had to find a better way to get myself going for the day. The respite came in the form of the sunny day with a beautiful blue sky. So while others saw history and architectural marvels, I cherished the colors in the sky. The interplay of sunlight and shadow with these buildings was a treat.

For record, we walked through the Roman Fora (Forum) and saw the Palentino. Just across the road we saw the Capitol. Later taking the same short route as last night, we reached the Pantheon. Once a pagen temple, this place later become a church. With the biggest un-enforced (totally no support except at the periphery) dome, this church is an architectural marvel. One would wish there were a little less tourists so as to have some peace at places like this. Sometime I think I am the only one looking for some peace.

HotTiii's guided tour continued covering the Fountain of the Four Rivers, the Presidential Palace and a couple more towers and historical churches. There are just too many of those big churches in this town. You take any road and you will see one big church there.

Now we are on our way to Munchen. We reach there in morning and then try our luck with the train reservations for Paris. Praying to god that we get some way. The exam on Wednesday requires preparation of more than a day. :-(

2 comments:

anoop... said...

no i need the photographs!

Siddharth Chaudhari said...

Haan, bina photo ke mazaa nahi!