May 30, 2006

movie magic...

Yestrday during lunch, we were discussing about movies. I was asked "hows Fanaa?" I did not have any answer as I have not seen that movie yet. They asked me "Hows the review for it?" I had only one answer I do not read reviews.

When I was in college, I used to read reviews in TOI every sunday morning. Iff TOI gave the movie 3+ stars, I would think about watching it in theatre. Otherwise we will enjoy it on my computer only.

Why did we generally rely on reviews to take t he decision to watch any movie?
I could think of some reasons:
  • Money: As watching movie in theatre is big burden on pockets, we try to make sure that every movie we watch is a good value for it. Reviews can help us taking the decision.
  • Time: Time is money so again to same it, we want to be sure before watching any movie.
  • Interest: Sometime the movie has lot of hype. We want to know more about it and then find out why the hype. Easiest way is to read one or the other review.
  • Knowledge: When I came to Bangalore, i had watched barely two or three English movies (in theatre). NOw to start with, I would read the review and then decide. For two reasons, I will have some understanding about the storyline, and also what to look for in the movie.
But today I rarely read any review before watching the movie. But sometimes I do read them after watching the movie. Why this kind of transition?
  • Money and time: I have my money and time. We watch movie every weekend, so these two have a little say in decision to watch a movie.
  • Interest: I have watched movies of various types and genre. From bad movies to good movies. Movies that cater to all kinds of crowd. So now I have got a taste. And after watchinf the trailor I can decide If a movie is going to satisfy that taste or not.
  • TV and DVDs: Now we have our own TV and DVD player. All those TD&H (Tom DICK and Harry) movies, we can watch at home only. SO whenever in doybt, rent a DVD.
  • Bad reviews: Once my taste for good movies was developed, I realized that mose of the reviews are partial and very distorted. Sometime they are written for comercial gain. I could not enjoy them any more. Moreover, some stupid writers, specially for TOI, mention some spolirs in the review. So its better not to read them if you have any mood to watch a movie.
To end it, I think we shuld reviews, if (and only if)
  • The review is not partial.
  • we can spare ourself from getting driven by it.
So enjoy... the magic of cinema...

No comments: