Dec 3, 2009

EuroTrip - Day 78

Christmas is all around me

One more of those unplanned journeys. We took train for Bern but got down at Zurich. A not-so-bright Sunday morning. Everyone is fast asleep as expected. Including the city. Empty roads - a welcome change, I must say. A new map and one more of those longs walks. To another lake front. Blue waters. And snowy mountains in the horizon. Morning dose of jogging and joggers.

Loss of purpose.

Return journey to find it back. Another long walk. Hundreds of shops and their glittering displays. No touch or smell - just the sight. Window shopping in true sense. A hot cup of coffee and veg burger in the McDonalds. A luxury mall with its festive decoration. "Welcome sir, may I help you?" I wish you could. Out of place and time. Running back to the real world. Migros. Lindt and some store brands. Shopping ville in the basement of Zurich railway station. And the Xmas market above it. Billy Mack singing.

I feel it in my fingers,
I feel it in my toes,
Christmas is all around me,
and so the feeling grows

It's written in the wind,
It's everywhere I go,
So if you really love Christmas,
C'mon and let it snow?

Train-train to go back home. Fcuk SNCF. Fcuk TGV. We are back to reality. Slow locals rock. 10pm arrival on a freezing night. Home sweet home. Rasam Chawal at midnight. A good night sleep. I am coming back to life.

No comments: