Oct 6, 2006

run forrest run

6’o clock in morning.
By any standard it is too early for an IT guy to be awake. I am used to it though (I have some bad habits you know, getting up early is one of them). Outside it is really cold and chilly after last night’s mild showers. Inside, it’s so warm and comfortable in my blanket. Who the hell would want to leave the cozy blanket and go out?

But, yours truly, decided to go out. It is Thursday, the day for our ritual morning run in Cubbon Park. Thursday morning run - this idea is the brainchild of my manager and some of the enthusiastic souls in my company. Gather at 6:30 in Cubbon Park, Run for 40 minutes or so, and then head straight to a nice restaurant for sumptuous breakfast – this is the plan for every Thursday morning. Mind you the running is not meant for losing weight or something like that; we gain more calories in the breakfast than what we lose by running.

So I leave my bed and get ready for the ride till Cubbon Park. In early morning, roads are totally deserted. Riding in Bangalore can be fun too, I had never felt. But this ride was so comfortable and enjoyable.

We meet in front of the statue of Victoria and then head straight to the track alongside. Some of us are regular runners so they aim at running longer distances. Others like me are there only for small distances. I am a really pathetic athlete, just 1.4 km of run (that’s like 10 minutes of running) and I am tired. All my energy is drained out. I tried hard but could not run more. My legs are aching, breathing is fast. I know I have crossed my stamina limits. So I walk after that. I walk for another 3 km. In between I keep trying for run for small durations. So it was like 1 km run and then 300 m of running.

This way I walked/ran for about 40 minutes. When I was walking, only one thought was going through my mind. All the events from last Monday popped in my mind. I could see them clearly and think about the present situation.

Last Monday, I had gone with Shashank for his practice run. He does this regularly. That day he had asked me to accompany him for the 15 km run he was planning. The venue was outer ring road, time 6 0’clock in morning. Somehow we could not start at our planned time, and we started at 7 am. Shashank started running and I was on my bike measuring the distance. I had the water and juice supply with me, in case he needed. Start was very smooth. I would ride for 1 km and then stop to signal him that 1 more km is over; target is closer by 1 km now. After 4 km mark, I stayed behind him for some time so that I could watch him running. After one turn, I saw him standing on the roadside, breathing fast. He was trying to catch his breath. I approached him and asked about what happened. He said he was feeling some pain in the chest, breathing was not proper and he was feeling very tired. He recalled that last night he had late dinner and that had affected his body. It was too late also, sun had some out and that was also sucking the energy.

What do we do now, the target was 15 km and he had not covered 5 km still. I just said that leave it today, we will come back tomorrow and do it again. This was the simplest and the only solution I could think of at spur of the moment. But he had something else in his mind. He rested for five minutes and then said that he would do at least 8 km that day. I said ok and then we started again. Now I tried to follow him so that I can watch him more closely and can be there in case of need. Whenever the km mark was about to come, I would overtake him and then signal him. He would smile and keep running. Soon we crossed 5km, 6km, 7km marks. 8km mark was visible to me; I overtook him and then stopped. He came and saw the signal. He didn’t stop. I got the hint now. He was determined to do his full 15 km run. Now I knew what I had to do.

I just followed him, overtook and then signaled one more km. he was running very slow, looked very tired with each km, still he didn’t stop. In between we took break for water, some energy drink and to catch breath. And then he would start again. His shirt is drenched in sweat, his determination oozing out with every drop of it.

That day he ran for 16 km. at the first stop (after 4km mark) I never dreamt of this achievement. I had given up that time and thought about the simplest of solution of quitting it. But he didn’t quit. He challenged himself and did more than what he had aimed at. After the race he accepted that it was one of the toughest run in his life. I know, it’s his sheer determination that made him conquer all his pain and finish the race.

This Thursday I did 2 km of running, just thinking about his 16km that day. I know I will run 7 km one day. Every time I will feel tired, I will just think about that memorable Monday morning. I am sure; I will finish 7km easily.

"That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going." - Forrest Gump

2 comments:

satyajit said...

I know from experience how it feels to run long esp. on of your off-days. But it's fairly simple: you just have to keep running and keep all thoughts to the contrary out of your mind. Its how much you enjoy it, and then pushing yourself further doesn't appear so hard because you don't look upon it that way. It's not a task to be completed but an activity to be enjoyed.

Pritesh Jain said...

Latest Update: Shashnk did a 21 km run today. He clocked 2 hr 12 mins.
He will be running in Hutch Delhi Marathon next week. Wishing him ALL THE BEST