Oct 14, 2006

mein Sourav bol raha hoon...

"I am Sourav Ganguly. I hope you have not forgotten me," Ganguly says in a new advertising of cola giant Pepsi. This is part of the Blue Billion campaign.
Ganguly speaks further -"Whatever happened, why it happened, I don't know. I am practicing to come back into the team."
And then, as if striking a chord with his fans and reminding them of his much-debated joyous reaction at Lords where he swirled his shirt in the air, a poignant Ganguly says, "Who knows I might get another chance to swirl my shirt in the air".

Then, he reminds everyone of his notorious aggression on field, "In the field or out of it, I won't sit quiet. I will cheer the team and so should you."

In the end, he urges (or requests?) everyone to cheer for India and asks,"Apne dada ki baat nahi maanoge?"

What is the motive behind making this ad? Why did he do it?
Pain or lust for money. Or simply the goodwill. You never know.

Sourav Ganguly, the face of aggressive Indian Cricket, so called arrogant brat of early 90s, asking viewers if they have forgotten him. No we have not; we can never be able to do that. We don’t want to do that either. For, he is one of most successful captain for Indian Cricket. For he changed the way captaincy was done in Indian Cricket. For he lead the Indian team to its glory, and played a significant role in bringing it to its present level. He did a thankless and selfless job. Some of the side effects of all this actually became the cause of early exit from Indian Cricket.

Ganguly will always be known and remembered for his arrogance and aggression. on field or off the field, he has always been one tough guy. It's his presence in the Indian cricket that changed many aspects of how cricket was played and managed in India. He showed to the world that we are the strong nation in cricket both on and off the field.

Somehow, his attitude and bad luck lead to his downfall also. He crossed his prime time, his form deteriorated. Then frustration came, and finally the unforgivable mistake of figthing with the Coach and Team management. Paani me rahkar magarmachcha se ladai nahi kar sakte. An exit was unavoidable, only thing is that it could not be that respectable. He deserved much more that what he got.

Yesterday when I saw this new ad, I felt really bad. He looked like one old lion caged in a zoo. I felt as if he was complaining to us - look what justice they have done to me. There was only one thing in his eyes- Did I deserve it that bad? The arrogance and aggression which was trademark for his image, were nowhere to be seen. Either the director for the ad has done superb job or Ganguly has finally broken and changed.

I hope he did not do this ad for money. I remember Shahrukh told once, an actor has real short life. So I will do anything to earn as much as possible in this short life to make my future secure. I will even dance in shaadis and will not mind being a Bhand. That is the bitter truth. I hope, its not the same case with Sourav too. Let the pride and dignity remain the part of image millions of fan for you.

ps: That, Ganguly will not return to Indian Team, is my personal humble opinion.

1 comment:

yashovardhan gupta said...

it was great to meet you guys after ages.

:-)