Oct 26, 2006

music for the soul


Karunesh, Talvin Singh, Outlandish, Enigma, Tabula Rasa, Steve Roach … the list goes on. These are the faces of new age music. I don’t know if I can classify their work as Fusion or Lounge music. But, certainly, they have created some of the best fusion compilations of the recent times. Be it Buddha Bar series or any of Karunesh’s collection, they have a peculiar feel in them. Sometimes earthen, sometimes rustic while at other times the most contemporary. Their music has influence from every part of life. Karunesh’s melodies are adaptation of Zen philosophy while Outlandish relies on Sufi and Persian symphonies. Indian folk music is also very prominent in work of these people. Punjab by Karunesh is undoubtedly one of the best compilations done by not-so-classical artist. By not-so-classical I mean artist who are not truly classical. These people may not have the knowledge of all the ragas in music but they certainly have the knowledge of soul of music.

Where else can you listen to Mrudangam, Ghatam, Dhol, Bansuri, Veena, Santoor, Tanpura, Sarangi and many more such classical instruments? We associate them with the classical singers and artists but these new age musicians have revived these age-old music instruments. People for my age would hardly know about all these amazing things, if Karunesh and others had not used it.

Whenever you are searching for some peace, try listening to some of these, you will feel like in heaven. I have been doing that for long time. My day starts with them and ends at them.

This is my prescription for a cheerful day and peaceful night.

I am really thankful to our own DJ Enigma aka Ankit, Mr Microcontroller Sharma and SJ – the party guy, for showing me the beautiful world of trance and fusion music.

2 comments:

Tikna said...

firstly.. [blush blush] :D
oye me totally out of new music... you've been talking about lot of good music lately on your blog.. how about burning a cd with this good stuff.. what say?? :)

Pritesh Jain said...

Mostly I have been tuning to it on net through streaming. I can suggest you what to listen to, hopefully you can find it on net.