Oct 21, 2006

diwali contiued...

It’s 5:45 AM and I am about to reach the temple. It’s Diwali today and there is function of “Laddoo Chadao” in the temple. This function is an age-old Jain ritual of celebrating the Nirvana of Bhagwan Mahaveer. I am going there to attend the function.

I have just reached and am about the park my vehicle in front of the temple. Suddenly one uncle-type man shouts, “don’t park it here, go there.” Which direction is he pointing to? I surely have no clue. Still, I find some other place for parking and leave my vehicle there. I have met first character of the day. I shall call him Mr. leader of the society. He thinks that he is the only person in the world who cares about others. anyways, forget him, I have come to temple, not to meet him.

I enter the temple and do the darshan. I am not saying Pooja, because certainly it’s not my cup of tea. People, in all colors and sizes, are coming in big or small groups. Families are entering together. It’s duty of man in the family to take care of smaller kids, while the ladies are busy doing Pooja.

There are many youngsters here. They are in the best of their attires. Loaded with the latest cell-phones and accessories. While everyone is concentrating on Pooja, they are trying to look or some other 'Pooja'. We surely have a ‘religious’ generation here.
Oops, they have not yet wished “Happy Diwali” to each other. It’s high time they do it. So, in mid of one shloka, one of them moves and comes close to his friend. The friends meet and exchange wishes. “So what plans for Diwali?” next question pops up in their conversation. “Oh, today… lets see. For now finish the ‘Pooja’ here and then go for breakfast. Its too early in morning for me. Mom did not let me eat anything before coming here. After breakfast lets see. You have any plans?” first one says. “No yaar, even I am planning the same,” replies the first. What a desperate situation. Even I am feeling hungry now.

One more uncle type man comes into picture here. He is trying to make sitting arrangements for everyone. He must be the host. Ok, this is not some party, but he is still the host. How? Arre! He is another leader for the samaaj. He has to take care that everyone is comfortable.
As the traditions involve offering Laddoos to the God, now this uncle has to arrange for the Laddoos. He takes two of those youngsters, who are still making their plans, to the storeroom and comes back with the Laddoos. Then he goes and distributes it to everyone. He looks so satisfied, as this time laddoos are of very good quality. His smug face is the proof for that.

There is this guy standing next to me, who does not look very happy with the laddoos. The ghee in the laddoos is making him uncomfortable. Not that he has to eat that laddoo, but just because he has to hold it for another 15 minutes or so. One guys next to him is in the similar expressions. Surely they sympathize with each other, and to distract their mind of laddoos they start talking about the job and office. Have you ever tried talking about your job in a temple? Try it. What an experience!!

There are some uncles and aunties who are trying hard to show their religiousness. They are chanting shlokas in the highest of pitch; I pity the people standing next to them. But it is people like these who make the Pooja possible; otherwise people like me, who can just lip-sync, won’t be able to do the Pooja. Anyways, I know that I can not stand anywhere close to them, so I am standing in one corner and doing the ‘Pooja’.

Finally the Pooja gets over and there is one loud cheer of “swahaa”. It is an indication that now we can offer the laddoos to the God. Oof what a relief. First thing in everyone’s mind is to go out and wash his/her hands. Finally we have finished the rituals. One more year over, next such event will come only next Diwali.

You may ask, what am I doing there. I am just observing everyone. I finished my Pooja in five minutes. And I know that is all I know about Darshan/Pooja. I have to stay there till the end so I started observing others. At least I am not disturbing others. Sometime observing others is lot of fun.

1 comment:

Tikna said...

you bet.. watching others is fun... esp in a temple...
another great place to watch people would be a park in the morning.. when all the health conscious people are out.. its great fun.. believe me