Aug 1, 2006

365 days as an IT guy

Today it is first anniversary of my professional life. Last year the same day I joined the world of weirdoes. Not that today I live a different life, but still being called IT pro sounds really cool.

Today when I am trying to write about my first day at work, I am finding it so hard to remember most of it. Such an uneventful day it would have been, I swear. We five friends from college joined the company on same day. Only thing I recall for that day is that I had signed loads of papers; some setup for computer and mailing. And that’s it. There was no formal welcome program or anything like that.
This is one grudge I will always have in my heart. Why a big IT company, who spends loads of money on every silly thing, can not offer some good unforgettable moments on the very first day of work to someone just out of college? But forget it; something can not be changed now, at least for me.

First year at work was a learning experience. Industry life is totally different from college life, at least from knowledge point of view. No book can help you much here. Only thing which is going to help you is experience. Learning through experience is the best way to cope in this competitive world.

There was one more very basic different. There are no senior junior here. While even today I call some of my favorite seniors from college by Sir, here at work everyone is at first name basis. No one has any false air about his post or knowledge. Everyone is approachable and is helpful in any matter. This is one thing that is to be cherished in such an environment.

Here I met some of the best friends and colleagues. I worked in different teams, and enjoyed each one of them. My bosses have always been more than just a boss; he is one big friend to me. So much to learn from him, so less is the time. My teammates have always been very supportive and sportive. Never once I had any problem regarding work going to home with me. I am really thankful to all those people.

On the personal end, this one year saw me maturing (?) from a college going lad to (somewhat) responsible working guy. Money starting coming; the experience of spending your money was a superb one. We managed our own house, with a kitchen. We have our own home now. Ups and downs of relations, problem from daily life I saw it all. How much I learnt from them, only the time can tell.

But overall what a kick ass year it was.
Many more to go…

1 comment:

satyajit said...

good luck and bon voyage!