Mar 23, 2007

mad ads

Nike's first cricket ad has got some really rave reviews in ad world. While most appreciated the efforts, some like Hindustan Times did not like it. HT went on to mark it as one of the worst ad of recent times.

Strange indeed!!

So what clicks for this ad about cricket crazy India?
Caribbean crusade was about to begin when this ad was launched on mass media on a grand scale. Before its launch, only few ads aimed solely at cricket world cup were on TV. I am not counting the "India shining" of cricket - the Pepsi chant for Indian team. I do not like SRK dramatising cricket for me. There are enough ingredients present in the game of cricket. Leave apart the Pepsi blue billion campaign, you hardly had anything. So Nike launched its cricket fever ad at the perfect time. Mind you India entered the WC with a good form (ok let me say it correctly two continuous series wins).

Set in the backdrop of Mumbai, this ad displays the character of Indian cricket fan. The zeal with which Indians follow (I cant say the same for play) cricket is the theme for the ad. A busy junction in Mumbai traffic reminds us of only phoolwaalis, eunuchs and beggars (Thanks Mr Madhur Bhandarkar). But here is the catch. This ad does not show anything like that. It shows how cricket crazy young Indians can grab any opportunity to cherish the game. Of course it does not happen in reality but who knows someday we will actually see this happening. The gala music on the higher notes sets the tempo to a high value. It directly touches the heart. No larger than the life stars giving gyan about cricket or discussing faltu things, plain cricket straight from the heart.

What does not click for this ad?
In my opinion, everything clicked for it. If you really press me to find a negative about this ad, then I would say that it is not as flashy as Pepsi chant. After listening and watching so many times also, I can not sing the song which plays in the background.

Great work guys. Keep it up.

2 comments:

Nasal Crooner said...

In recent times,
my favourite is the Air Conditioner Ad..
Where the female says i'm having an affair wid ur husband.. whos sitting by her side..
"Bohut kharaate marte hai na??!"

Lolzz.. hillRRRAious!!

Unknown said...

I agrre with u.....
I love the ad n stop wht ever I'm doing when the ad is being aired....
A great ad and can never get bored watching it again n again....