Mar 17, 2007

kulfi, mocha and smoke - 2

A Café Mocha is a variant of a cafe latte. Like a latte it is typically one third espresso and two thirds steamed milk, but a shot of chocolate is added. Typically the chocolate is in the form of an Italian syrup, although less sophisticated vending systems use instant chocolate powder. Whipped cream, dustings of cocoa and marshmallows may also be added on top for flavor and decoration. source: wikipedia

Interesting naa??
OK, OK, don't kill me. I am not here to give you gyan on types of coffee and such.
Mocha is the coffee shop next to Juhu Beach which I visited recently.

So after all those kulfis and chana jor garams, we decided to have a nice cup of coffee at the most happening place on Juhu beach. Mocha is a high end coffee shop of the likes of barista -- OK I should have called it Lavazza, see how well aware I am in GK :) -- or Cafe Coffee day -- CCD -- . What makes it different from others is that it serves vine and vodkas also (alas they don't serve Beer). So in short you can call it a coffee bar.

This kind of place is always with hunks and hotties. Gang of boys in their early 16s, bunch of girls in their early 15s all sitting and enjoying "coffee". Eye-catchers I call it. Funky clothes and hairstyles on display. Only places like this you can find, geeks suited in formals sharing a couch with girls in skimpy clothes. Interesting indeed.

What to order here?
Coffee and other food items are obsessively expensive. I think they add the cost of the skirt which the waiters here wear. Ok ok, don't get any ideas, they are not influenced by Elton John. They wear a long apron which looks more like a skirt.

As with other coffee places, the key crowd puller here is Hukkah, so you can see all these 'kids' enjoying each and every puff of smoke from those well designed hukkahs. Cigarettes just add on to the dense fog of nicotine filled air. Welcome to a teens' joint (joint as in a ice cream joint).

So why do you go there?
You don't go there to enjoy coffee. Coffee to sirf ek bahana hai. So you order something to pass your time and enjoy the place. We too did the same. "earl grey tea" was too attractive to be left out from my attention. So I ordered that with a style as if I have been drinking that since my childhood. My friends also did almost the same.
Now here is the fun part. Place the order and then sit and relax. Enjoy the music. Oh I forogt to mention they play really good music. Oh not himesh bhai, but shaggy and likes. Full dhinchik types.

My earl grey comes exactly after 23 minutes of wait and twice reminding the guy about the order. And what do I see when it comes. A pot with hot water, a tea bag and some milk. So now here is the billion dollar question -
Why did they need 23 minutes to serve me my tea?
a: It takes exactly 20 minutes to milk the cow, add to it the time to warm water and milk.
b: for a nice early grey experience you need water at exactly 67 degree C, and milk just 40 degree above room temperature.
c: They have already added the waiting factor in the cost, so now you have to use it also.
d: There was a belly dance performance slotted to happen during this time. Alas, the dancer performed in kitchen instead of lobby.

Whatever the reason, it did take 23 minutes. We did our usual tp. And then gulped the coffee/tea as it was getting late for the flight.
Take an auto and rush to airport.
Au revoir Mumbai.
I will be back soon.

No comments: