Sep 20, 2006

sir... that was the finish line ...!

I got this mail from Shashank after the Bangalore Marathon. So sharing it here for the benefit of everyone. More so because I want to keep it forever in my memories. It will inspire me and many more.

You are amongst my 62 pledgers who raised Rs. 1,10,000 for Dream a Dream, by my Half Marathon run yesterday! :-)

Reading this mail may take around 5-7 minutes, please be patient! ;-)

Saturday:

I was receiving calls that made me nervous by minute. I spend my whole day at the Computer Programme on Sat and came back even more nervous.
To tell you the truth and frame it with the right words, I was LOW!
I thought of people whom I want to call at 2000 hrs, barely 10 hours before the run. The RUN I have been dreaming of for over 8 months.

I called my parents - no REPLY!
I called my Didi (elder sister) - no REPLY!
I called someone who is very dear to me - NO, it wasn't Jaya this time! :-)
It was the Hockey Coach, P Shanmugam - a person whose tips I had been using till date.
I would have never reached the stage where I am, had he not been there for me with his fitness and mental toughness tips. Not to forget the morning sacrifices of Kautuk Khare.

'I wish you all my luck, Shashank. When you will get tired, look up and let not your shoulders droop down!
Keep an eye on the trees. Keep your body disconnected from your mind. That will take you a long way.
And don't forget to dream your success! Think of the time when you complete the run and how will you feel at that time.
Remember that it's a MIND GAME!
I am sure you will complete'

I was completely taken aback by this inspirational talk.
A minute later, I got a very charging up SMS from him. That is one SMS that will always remain in my mobile phone, forever.
I felt like a super champion who felt low at the last moment and the coach pitched in to give me some magic tips. I knew this tips are gonna go a long way!

Sun: 0330
Day started with Iqbal songs, Aashayen/Mutthi mein Aasmaan. Those songs kept playing continuously till the time I left the house.

0445: At Kautuk's place
In spite of doing the practice run the Sunday before, I was wondering all the time whether I will be able to complete it or not!
We reached the Kanteerva Stadium. Quite a low turn out at 0530. As time passed, people started pouring in and by the time Full Marathon was flagged there were quite a few people lined up for the Half Marathon.
There were elderly people too. Ladies, Gents of more than 50 were also there!

It started off at 0630 and I ran, exited Kanteerva Stadium.
Down 2 km or so, I reached a place where the directions for Half/Full Marathon and Celebration bifurcated. I saw it, and kept looking at it till the time I crossed it.
Reminded me of similar hoarding of last year's Marathon-just that this time, it was different way for me :-)

It was big time fun till 7km or so. The road was divided in 2 halves. 1 half dedicated for the runners and the other one dedicated for Bangalore Traffic. There were cops all the way; securing the way for the runners.
I kept saluting most of them and saying thank you to them. They all must have been up since 0400 or so. Few responded; few were too involved in their duty! :-)
Kautuk overtook me on motorcycle and I shouted at the top of my voice; so did he!

As I closed to 8km mark, I saw runners from the opposite directions running like mad!
Yes, you are right!
They were the professionals who actually ran to win the race.
I don't know, but I was high and I kept clapping and saying,' come on... faster'
Around 9 km or so, Satyajit crossed me. I yelled at him, 'I hope you didn't jump the circuit somewhere'. We shouted, smiled and crossed. Too good a runner he is!

Mekhri Circle passed; I was nearing the Hebbal Flyover. MASSIVE pile up of traffic because the traffic was completely stopped for the runners!
I climbed the flyover, tapped a few who were walking,' Run man RUN', reached the top of the flyover and it felt as if I have reached the summit. Descended down and there was the half way marking. They were putting wet color of the chest, marking the completion of the half way mark.
That guy missed me and I said,' Here I am... put it on me' ;-)
(see that pink mark on my t-shirt!)

The run was getting tougher after that. Mekhri Circle underpass was back again. This time it was even more dreadful. Steep climb, as always, is a disaster for Runners. I kept it as slow as possible, waited for 15 km mark which never showed up, eventually to find 16km.

I told myself, ‘If I cross 18km, I will be able to drag another 3, for sure’

'Look up.
Don't let your shoulders go down.
Observe the trees.
Think of the time when you complete the run
It’s a mind game.'

The words were all around me. The coach's words had clicked.
I cleared 18 and kept running. I told myself, 'By your speed, you will take at least 21 minutes from here'. 2 hours 03 minutes had gone.
There were mile stones after that. I entered Cubbon Park and a few old ladies cheered me. I speeded up. A few kids from Basketball Court shouted. I speeded up even further-Got on to Kasturba Road to see the entrance to Kanteerva Stadium.
Pritesh and Ritesh were there to welcome me! :-). They shouted and my speed increased. ( DSCN3379.jpg for taken at that time )

I entered the athletic stadium. I kept running where one guy told me,' sir... that was the finish line ...!'

I recorded 2 hours 18 minutes by my watch. I wasn't convinced with the last 3km distance but still I had Kautuk waving at me from the stands! :-)

P.S.:
1) A special thanks to Shanu and Kautuk without whom this wouldn't have been possible.
2) A even more special thanks to EACH ONE of you, who wished me luck on Sat evening and Sun morning!
3) A different, but yet special, thanks to all you pledgers of mine! Hadn’t you been there, I would have climbed my bike with Kautuk at 13 km mark! J
4) Next LAKSHAYA (TARGET): Hutch Delhi Half Marathon on 15th October.

1 comment:

satyajit said...

it'll surely inspire..i'm glad shashank was able to put together such an invaluable amount...