Sep 11, 2007

nineteen eighty four

I am at loss of words. The more I read 1984, the more I felt sad. I so badly wanted it to be a happy ending. But a happy ending takes place in Utopia. We are nowhere close to it. The search will continue. Forever.

Animal Farm was my first encounter with anything political. It made me think so much. While reading it I had a feeling of satisfaction as I could relate to all the events described. Most of the times, I would think of the way story will proceed and events that will follow. And to my amazement they all happened exactly the same way. Winston thinks the same way in 1984 after reading Goldstein's book. He asks himself, "What was it that I didn't know. Or rather what was it that Goldstein tells me new through this book?" The same questions pop up again towards the end, only difference being that this time it's O'Brien whos posing them. Answer remains the same. Its all in the mind.

If Animal Farm had an allegorical theme, 1984 is more on the see-the-reality-the-way-it-is types. Literary critics and political historians have found numerous events and references in the book which are related to some real life events. Orwell never refused the possibility. And this is what makes it more interesting and necessary for everyone to read Orwell. Read about this history else you will never know "How far have we come".

I would recommend this book to everyone. At moments it might be slow and preachy. But then there are others where you sink into Winston's skin committing all the thoughtcrimes. It is simply superb reading.

Wikipedia has unlimited resources on this book. Have a read if you have time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

No comments: