Jan 18, 2007

The things you own end up owning you

Tyler Durden said "The things you own end up owning you."
How true!!
Fight Club has this rare distinction of creating one whole philosophy of its own. Matrix triology also comes in the same league. They are not just movies that you watch and forget. You can do justice to them only by trying to understand the darshan beneath.

Yesterday in the play, I had switched my phone to silent mode. After the play first thing I did was to check if I had any call. Whenever I am alone or waiting for someone I stare at my cell phone or play with it, as if someone will call me if I do that. I have become slave to my cellphone.

Orkut/Mail is another such thing. We keep checking our mails to see if anyone has mailed. Whenever free, I log-in to orkut and check my scrapbook. F5 key is pressed every 5 seconds as if someone will scrap me if I regularly do that. I keep opening my messengers if I am free. What I am looking for there, is not very clear. Just that I have formed this bad habit of looking at them again and again.

I want to free of everything. I want to be a free soul again. I don't want my support system to be my lifeline. I want to rule my life and not the other way around.

Show me the way...

11 comments:

Deepak Vijayvergiy said...

ha ha .. Even i do the same F5 regardless of myself busy or free and when I knw that my scrap count has a consistent rate of around 3-4 per week.

Kishore Sainath said...

I disagree. Just because you have made something an integral part of your life and cannot possibly imagine life without it, you do not become its slave.

Of course, you will have to realize the purpose of each of these things and use them accordingly.

On to geeky side of things, I know you have GTalk installed. Have you integrated Orkut with GTalk?

If you have, then you will realise that they have a reminder every time there is a scrap and hence you are free of F5.

Pritesh Jain said...

Hehe... I haven't integrated the gtalk and orkut. That will be the end of it. :)
I firmly believe that these things are becoming much more integral part of life than they actually should be.

Kishore Sainath said...

It is upto us to draw the line where we see fit

Deepak Vijayvergiy said...

if we configure not to recieve message or reminder on getting a scrap... then F5 is the only option .. hehe :)

Ravi Shekhar said...

Its true for alsmost everyone.. even i look at my mobile but i hardly get the calls or messages.. but i am free from the orkut and gtalk..
there is nothing wrong..u have time so u can check them. dont think this much and enjoy the life :)

Nirek said...

We all are suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder. aren't we?
Me too no different from you, I have obsession for checking my web stats counter for my blog so often in a day!

Pritesh Jain said...

OH how could I miss that!!
Even I have that obsession. I keep checking and try to associate user with each IP/domain.
I am still wondering who is the mystery reader for my blog from SURAT. :)
any help???

Alistair D'souza said...

yeah mailboxes do end up owning you :-) try to write down stuff at the beginning of the day as to what you want to accomplish for that day... have to try it myself though.. but I know it will help me get more things done...

Vatsy said...

Chalo Laddakh Chale..
Jaha koi mobile network na ho..
Jaha koi Internet ka jaal na ho..
jaha koi call na kare...
jaha kisi ka intezar no ho
Chalo Laddakh Chale!!!

Nirek said...

yep prits,
those kind of mystery readers really intrigue us, right??! I stopped tracking stats so regularly.

I had send the girl's story link in email. chk it out