Jul 21, 2006

being pritesh


This is a scene from Anger Management. I could not find the movie script on the net so trying to reproduce the same here. It may be not be exactly same as that in the movie, but the core sense is the same.
Dr. Buddy Rydell: So Mr Dave tell me about yourself.
Dave Buznik: Hi everyone, this is Dave Buznik. I am a software professional. I work in ABC infotech. I am a senior manager there...
Dr. Buddy: [interrupts him] Hey Dave, I asked you tell us abut yourself, not about your work.
Dave: [apologizes to the group] Oh, I like to play cricket and to listen to music...
Dr. Buddy: [again interrupts] Dave, sorry for interrupting again, but i dint ask your hobbies.
Dave: [trying to control his anger, he smiles] Ohk, I am an outwardly person, sometimes emotional [blah blah]..
Dr. Buddy: [with a sly smile] Dave here you go again, i dint ask about your nature. I just asked you to tell us about yourself.
Dave: [By now he is gripped in anger] Hey hey hey Buddy, what the f#$@ you want me to tell you here...
Why Dr. buddy chose this question to check Buddy's anger management. Is it really this tough to answer "tell me about yourself"?

It indeed is a very trivial situation, but it brings up a real important question.

Who are we?
Are we what we do as a profession?
Are we what we like to do?
Are we what our nature is like?

If someone asks you this question, will you be able to answer it without any difficulty?

In my humble opinion, it will be combination of all the above. We are what we want us to be. Everything is real, everything can be imaginary.
In the end, my answer to the question could have been "I am Pritesh"

Is this ego or just the simple frustration?
Again, it can be interpreted in any sense. But its the bitter truth. We are what we are. I can not change for anyone; no one can do that actually. They say in love people change, but isn't it for their selfish ends.

Is Being Pritesh is a brand?
I hope it is not. For me it certainly is not a brand. I still remember how I used to hate when my mom would give me examples of other kids of my age (who had done something good in life). Wasn't she trying to make a brand? Yes, she was. Just to inspire me. At that age, I would just curse those people and again indulge in my own life.
Today I just hope I am not a brand image for anyone. I dont want to get abused. I really do not want to carry the burden of someone else's expectations. The worst heart break occurs when your ideal breaks his image and does something wrong.

But for now, I am just Pritesh, and its really cool being pritesh.

No comments: