Nov 22, 2007

OSO - it's me myself and my ego

SRK, you rock.
You really do.
You have shown that you really are the King of this film industry. A song with 30 odd of bollywood's who's who really shows that you rule this world of Hindi cinema. You spoof them but still they don't say a word. It's all taken in good spirit. Only some old mad fellow showed some guts to stand up against him. And guess what!! SRK wins over his heart too. That too in full public view. It's my way or the highway.

You cheered India coz there can not be a bigger stage than a cricket match between India and Pakistan. While corporates pay millions to showcase their logos and merchandises during those matches, you did it without even paying a single penny. And guess what!!! They termed you the lucky charm for team India. Why not? if they can wear the same (lucky) underwear in each match, they can easily afford to have you there in the stadium. They can always doubt their talent and capabilities, but luck? No... Luck always plays a bigger role.

You know how to handle, or should I say manipulate, the media. They need news, they need God and you can be both. "I am a dog," rightly you said some days back. You really are a big one. And mean too. Everything is fair in love and war.

You and your friends make lovely movies. If bollywood is about dream cinema, you provide it its character. We Indian's can not do without masala, be it our food or the films we watch. Just like the dhabewala on outskirts of every town, you know how to add masala. Thoda sa suspense, thodi comedy and lots of emotions - taiyaar hai ek perfect masala picture. Par bhaiya, khane ka asli swad to tabhi aata hai jab vo aankho ko bhi acha lage. And there comes your showmanship. Make news if there is none, generate controversy if you are not in spotlight. OSO became a super hit even before it hit the theatre. If paisa was the success criteria, this one might become the biggest hit we ever had in hindi cinema. Kudos to you.

But then...
Isn't this movie more about you than any damn thing in world? It's SRK from beginning till end. OM is lost somewhere. Same thing happened with Shanti also. Just because it was her debut in Hindi cinema does not mean she can become larger than the character. I guess in your world of larger than life cinema, this is the way things work. The audience pays from their khun pasine ki mehnat to see you enjoy your life the way you want to. It's indulgent cinema. You made what you wanted to. "Nobody tells me what to do," you seem to say every moment you come on screen. When AK makes No Smoking, he is doing it for himself. And you do the same. You all are same. Self-indulgent SOAB.

We, the people, are here just to see you indulging yourselves in your ego. That too on our experience. We pay to be mind-fished. We pay to befool. We love you coz you joke on us and make us laugh at the same time. You make us feel something. Good or Bad - does not matter.

I really loved watching OSO. Why? Coz it served me exactly the same dish that I had imagined it to be. A masala flick sans any sense. I wanted to see SRK telling me again and again - you fool, again you are here. You will always come back. Look at this bunch of jokers all around you. You all will come back...
Kyunki..
Picture abhi baaki hai mere dost...


Keeping everything aside: my ranking for OSO - 3/5
Watch it if you like Hindi Cinema.

4 comments:

CandidConfessions said...

I completely agree! SRK rocks! Its all his show and None of OM. He exudes all of himself and yes, I love watching his movies again and again!

Nasal Crooner said...

Om Crappy Om
I almost died

satyajit said...

ALthough I havent seen the movie, considering how out of place Deepika Padukone must've felt between the ass-licking pair of Farah and Shahrukh Khan, I rename the movie as "Moan Shanti Moan."

Dreamzzzz said...

the good damn thing abt SRK is does everything ith heart...absolute confident chap.....I did nt watch OSO...but saw his interview on NDTV...he said...I want to be the bad habit of Indian ppl...as its very hard to over come a bad habit...he definetly ROCKS....as a person