Oct 13, 2009

EuroTrip - Day 25

Another Date with Glory

It's not that the castles of Carcassonne are the best of royal glory that Europe has to offer to the tourists. The Princely Palace (State Apartments) in Monaco is a relatively newer construction and is supposed to be a good example of glory meeting modern comfort. The Royal Palace has preserved its glory well and is a good place to get a glimpse of the past. In the same lines, Château de Versailles too offers a glimpse of the past glory in its true sense. Situated in the outskirts of Paris city ( Take RER C from Champ De Mars and get down at Versailles Rive Gauche), this place has one of the most beautiful castles that one can visit in Europe.

As soon as you get out of the train, you are greeted with historical buildings that are serving as cultural centers and luxury hotels. The palace is at a walkable distance and it is a nice walk in a city that is filled with tourists. The palace is visible from a long distance because of the golden shine that is reflected from each and every dome in it. Gold work is a especiallity in this part of the world where major buildings have their domes and doors painted with gold. The palace has one of the best golden work around.

We visited the King's and Queen's State Apartments, the Dauphin's Apartments in a tour where the audio-guide told us the stories. Now this is what I like. The glory meets technology to weave a spellbinding narration. I really have no words to describe the experience from the palace and the museum inside. I hope the photos that I will upload soon, will give you the glimpse of what I am talking about.

There is a beautiful garden surrounding the palace and it is worth a visit too. There are musical fountains too, though I am not sure when they are in action. And yes, there are plenty of places to capture some kodak moments.

End of the day, when I look back, I can surely tell that all the effort that we took to visit Versailles as well as the Euros spent were worth it. If you get a chance to spend some time in Paris, do go to this place.

PS: For EuRail Pass holders RER C line is free for travel to/from outside the Paris to the central part. Ask at the ticket counter for your free ticket by showing your EuRail Pass.
PS2: I am losing my edge. :( I know myself how gibbup blog I have written tonight. I am really at a loss of words for what I have seen today. More than that, there are too many things going through my mind right now. I hope to get back to tune soon.
PS3: Photos will be updated soon.

No comments: